The defender’s spouse and kids are”in shock but acceptable” after being held at knifepoint during a robbery at their north London home.
Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen says his family is recovering after being the victims of a house burglary while he was off on Champions League duty.
Vertonghen’s wife and children were held by four men wearing balaclavas and wielding machetes, who then made off with electric items.
The family was physically unharmed through the episode, which happened last Tuesday when the Belgium centre-back was part of the Spurs squad has beaten 3-0 in RB Leipzig.
“I am okay. Obviously it is a big shock for everybody,” Vertonghen told the Sun.
“The family are in shock but okay. It’s what it is.”
A statement issued by the Metropolitan Police read: “Police were called to a residential address in NW3, at 19.49hrs on Tuesday, 10 March to a report of a burglary. Officers attended.
“It had been reported four men wearing balaclavas, armed with knives, had entered the property and stolen several items before leaving.
“Nobody was hurt. The suspects had left the scene before officers arrived.
“There have been no arrests. Inquiries continue.”
Both the authorities and Tottenham have urged anyone with information that could help with the inquiry to call 101 and provide the reference CAD 7358/10Mar.
Vertonghen, 32, has called London his home as 2012 when he finished a move to Spurs from Ajax.
The Belgium international has gone on to create more than 300 appearances for the club, even though there are doubts over his future because his contract expires in June.